Guest viewing is limited

At The Start Of A Long Journey

Thanks for the reply MagicJ, the original FHDRA lasted 2 hours and was adjourned, so the hearing is called FHDRA adjourned (it’s like FHDRA part 2 of you like).

Who decided she had separation anxiety? Did your ex just tell them that?

The contact centre decided this, I have no idea what my ex said. They said they do what is best for the child and being away from mother for too long is initially not in her best interest and the mother must be near by. This will add to any tension.
Does the contact centre or Cafcass have the final say, I feel as if the contact centre is correct my bonding with my daughter will be a very long draw out process.

On Thursday I finally got to see my daughter for the first time in 6 months, I’m so happy. She has grown so much ( not surprised as she is almost 11 months old).
The session at the contact centre lasted approx 30 minutes which I was please about and hopefully they will start lasting longer as she becomes more familiar with me.
On a side issue my ex did however tell the staff that unless I had a drugs test she would not let my daughter see me. At the first hearing she requested a drugs test three times and it was turned down, then at the contact centre her stipulation left me no choice but to take the test. I assume this is something I should bring up at the next hearing?
I can’t wait until next week, all the hard work and jump through hoops is starting to pay off.

I had some disappointing news today from the Contact Centre and feel the day I get to see my daughter again is a long way off.
I final got to see my 10 month old daughter four weeks ago for the first time in six month at a contact centre, the session lasted 30 minutes before she became upset with separation anxiety. The two further sessions since then lasted approx 10 to 15 minutes before she became distressed.
Today the centre sent me an email saying my daughter had been to the centre and spent 15 minutes with a couple of staff members before once again becoming distress. The email said”based on this and the three attempts it is our professional opinion that contact is not protecting my daughter’s emotional wellbeing.” They went on to say “ we would be willing to attempt video calls to establish a trust between me and my daughter “.
As my daughters wellbeing is paramount I feel I have no choice but to try video calls. This will obviously take months for a bond to form, that is assuming I can get her interested in Loki g at me via a computer screen.
I guess I need to push for these calls to happen very frequently a minimum of three times per week.
I have four weeks to my next court hearing, if anyone has any experience of this I would be grateful for you sharing your thoughts.

Sorry to hear that. That sounds unusual to me for a 10 month old. My son was in nursery from 6 months old and used to being left in a childcare place with staff and toys. I wonder if your ex is doing something to create this - ie delaying a feed or something. Obviously you can't say that or suggest it. Does your daughter go to nursery at all? Yes I'd ask for the video calls.

unfortunately my ex does not communicate with me despite my efforts emailing her once a week for the last six months without a single reply. Therefore I have very limiting knowledge of my daughter and if she attends any nursery classes.
I have a court hearing early June and will be bringing the lack of communication up.

unfortunately my ex does not communicate with me despite my efforts emailing her once a week for the last six months without a single reply. Therefore I have very limiting knowledge of my daughter and if she attends any nursery classes.
I have a court hearing early June and will be bringing the lack of communication up.

I would stop attempting communication with her if you have been emailing once a week for six months with no reply. This could be used against you as domestic abuse in the form of harassment.

You could mention in court that you have tried to communicate with the mother regarding your child with no response. This is restricting you from learning about your child etc.

Try and push for some photos and a written update then at least you have something for now.

Thank you Dadlad for the advice. I get absolutely nothing back from the mother of my child, so asking for a photo or written reply will be unanswered. She wouldn’t every reply when I said I had Christmas cards and presents from my family and myself for my daughter. I dared not take them to her house as that may have seemed like harassment. I feel by sending one email a week is all I currently have in regard to my daughter. If I don’t send it I will loose her. My ex wants my daughter not to have a relationship with me and she has said this in her response to my C100 application.

Thank you Dadlad for the advice. I get absolutely nothing back from the mother of my child, so asking for a photo or written reply will be unanswered. She wouldn’t every reply when I said I had Christmas cards and presents from my family and myself for my daughter. I dared not take them to her house as that may have seemed like harassment. I feel by sending one email a week is all I currently have in regard to my daughter. If I don’t send it I will loose her. My ex wants my daughter not to have a relationship with me and she has said this in her response to my C100 application.

This is why you ask for it in court and get it written in the court order, that way it's documented and if she breaches the order you have the evidence.

Im speaking from experience, communication can be manipulated into harassment and then used against you. I simply offered the ex mediation and this was used as unwanted contact and harassment.

They will use absolutely anything against you. You have to think logically.

By some coincidence I had an email from my ex’s solicitor today asking me to stop sending my weekly email asking about my daughter’s wellbeing, it said, “ xxxxx has provided assurances that if there is anything of “significant concern” she will notify you. It appears xxxxx is not going to provide you with any meaningful information regarding your daughter , and on the basis that she has now provided confirmation that she will make contact with you if there is anything significant”.

I am struggling for information about my daughter and to me everything is significant, I am missing out on so many milestones. My solicitor has requested an urgent court hearing to address this total lack of communication and also about my contact with my daughter moving to video calls due to her becoming distressed.

Is it in a child’s best interest for the mother to shut the father out of her life and what do you think the court will make if this?

I had some disappointing news today from the Contact Centre and feel the day I get to see my daughter again is a long way off.
I final got to see my 10 month old daughter four weeks ago for the first time in six month at a contact centre, the session lasted 30 minutes before she became upset with separation anxiety. The two further sessions since then lasted approx 10 to 15 minutes before she became distressed.
Today the centre sent me an email saying my daughter had been to the centre and spent 15 minutes with a couple of staff members before once again becoming distress. The email said”based on this and the three attempts it is our professional opinion that contact is not protecting my daughter’s emotional wellbeing.” They went on to say “ we would be willing to attempt video calls to establish a trust between me and my daughter “.
As my daughters wellbeing is paramount I feel I have no choice but to try video calls. This will obviously take months for a bond to form, that is assuming I can get her interested in Loki g at me via a computer screen.
I guess I need to push for these calls to happen very frequently a minimum of three times per week.
I have four weeks to my next court hearing, if anyone has any experience of this I would be grateful for you sharing your thoughts.
I'm only sharing a little experience but really forming a bond through a video screen is tricky. My daughter at six has done remarkably well over nearly a year to sit and have video calls/phone calls with me a few times a week, she just can't sit still though. It's quite unnatural really for a little one. But I worked at getting as much contact as possible. Nothing can substitute your infant knowing your touch, your smell and your prescence so even if it's fifteen minutes or five minutes building up from there I'd push for that. They charge a fortune family centres** I know but if you can get the minutes, build up the familiarity. You haven't been given long enough at three sessions.

**please don't undermine yourself by refering to it as a contact centre. Use a different term even when speaking to the staff of the family centre.

Is it in a child’s best interest for the mother to shut the father out of her life and what do you think the court will make if this?

A child's right is to have an equal and loving relationship with both parents.

Something which isn't always portrayed and often ignored.

Back