Guest viewing is limited

salary change

BigLes

Hi All,

My salary is set to drop by 30% due to my working hours dropping by 30%. The change will defo result in a salary 25% lower than the income assessed in my last P60, and the one before it. It will also be 25% lower than that which is assessed in my forthcoming P60. The change is due to a new contract being imposed due to my childcare commitments.

My questions are:
1) is it a case of declaring the change on the CMS website, then submitting 3 months of payslips? Or am I naive to think that it won’t be refused by the CMS and they make me do a Mandatory Reconsideration and then make me go to a tribunal in a few years time? (This seems par for the course).

2) can the RP argue that my change in income wasn’t imposed upon me involuntarily but rather came about due to my childcare commitments and hence was (in a way) voluntary and hence I don’t meet the criteria for a re-assessment?

3) after providing 3 months of payslips, is the calculation backdated to the date at which the change in salary commenced?

Thanks

I would go onto the CSM portal and ask the question. Regardless of the circumstances surrounding your change in fincancial circumstances, your income has changed and needs to be reviewed.

Reactions: Ash
Hi @BigLes, I'd be interested to hear any reply from CMS you get. I informed CMS, via a phone call, over 4 months ago, that my salary had increased by more than 25%. The operator said they would wait for 1 month's paye figures, then apply the increases. Same operator told me CMS can access your monthly income tax figures, so no need to send in payslips. I did get a letter soon after confirming that I had informed CMS of a change in circumstance, but they still haven't applied any payment increases. I am expecting a nasty letter demanding a large back payment any day now. As others have said, you can get a different story every time you contact CMS, it's difficult to know the exact facts. I had read the thing about providing 3 months payslips to prove a decrease, but since I declared an increase, I thought they'd be on that straight away!

Hi @BigLes, I'd be interested to hear any reply from CMS you get. I informed CMS, via a phone call, over 4 months ago, that my salary had increased by more than 25%. The operator said they would wait for 1 month's paye figures, then apply the increases. Same operator told me CMS can access your monthly income tax figures, so no need to send in payslips. I did get a letter soon after confirming that I had informed CMS of a change in circumstance, but they still haven't applied any payment increases. I am expecting a nasty letter demanding a large back payment any day now. As others have said, you can get a different story every time you contact CMS, it's difficult to know the exact facts. I had read the thing about providing 3 months payslips to prove a decrease, but since I declared an increase, I thought they'd be on that straight away!
They usually keep the RP well-informed of these things so I would expect her to be regularly reminding them!

I would go onto the CSM portal and ask the question. Regardless of the circumstances surrounding your change in fincancial circumstances, your income has changed and needs to be reviewed.
Ah OK. Is the messenger function on the portal re-enabled now? They disabled it a while back so that you had to call them and be on hold for hours (only to be told by a gatekeeper that the case worker will call you back next week. Then that’s the last you hear from them!)

I find it best to call them, 1st thing 8am is best or you will wait on hold for at least an hour. They will do the paperwork needed. Then ask the persons name and ask for a timescale. Then upload the document to prove it. When (not if) that timescale passes phone again and get another timescale. When that timescale passes phone up AGAIN and put in a dissatisfaction of service- it should then get sorted reasonably quickly.

The more you hassle them the quicker it will get sorted

I find it best to call them, 1st thing 8am is best or you will wait on hold for at least an hour. They will do the paperwork needed. Then ask the persons name and ask for a timescale. Then upload the document to prove it. When (not if) that timescale passes phone again and get another timescale. When that timescale passes phone up AGAIN and put in a dissatisfaction of service- it should then get sorted reasonably quickly.

The more you hassle them the quicker it will get sorted
So:
1) Call them on day 1 of my new job role and inform them my salary has changed going forwards.
2) on the same day submit the change online plus submit evidence from my employer
3) after I receive my first payslip, submit that online and then call them again to chase it up?
4) repeat every month (submitting payslips and calling them up at 8am) until I get a positive response?

I’m not sure how I’d go about putting in a ‘dissatisfaction of service’.

A dissatisfaction of service is easy. When on the phone tell them you are not happy with the service and want to put in a dissatisfaction of service in, they will sort the rest

One of the things they are judged on how good a job they do (that's a laugh) is how many people are satisfied (officially that is)

Back