Guest viewing is limited

Pre-court hearing anxiety

UkDad

Can anyone suggest anything to help with anxiety before a court hearing?

I have been on walks and having counselling which helps a bit but still very anxious.

Interested to hear if anyone here has done anything else to help with the anxiety?

Can anyone suggest anything to help with anxiety before a court hearing?

I have been on walks and having counselling which helps a bit but still very anxious.

Interested to hear if anyone here has done anything else to help with the anxiety?
I found doing as much prep as possible helped a lot.

Sounds obvious but compiling a to-do list for the day of (ie. iron shirt, etc) helps.

I even drove to the court building a couple days before, just so I wouldn't be seeing it for the first time on the day of my hearing..

and could even figure out exactly what parking was like, etc.

These little things helped me feel as prepared as I could be.

Maybe subconsciously it was just me feeling like I had some control over something I felt was out of my control..

Either way, I was a little less nervous on the day than I expected to be!

Good luck.

Here are some things to try.

Parasympathetic breathing
Hot bath before bed
Try to have windows open, especially when sleeping
When feeling really anxious, putting hands and feet on radiator
Focus on single things for short bursts. As little as 15-20 minutes is ok
Propranalol can help with restlessness (GP)
When it is hard, create a change of environment or a sensory experience, e.g. listen to a piece of music, eat something sweet, go to a different room
Keep hydrated

I did a burn journal for a bit, alongside my normal one.

I put down on paper what I was feeling, why I thought I was getting that emotion, what I thought I could do that was in my control.

I then transferred those actions to another new page so i could work on them.

I returned to the burn journal page and then relisted what was definitely out of my control.

I finished with a statement accepting that I couldn't change those points, so I will no longer let them occupy me.

I made sure that I got out every emotion I was feeling.

Then I burnt the pages & l kept the action list.

It's perfectly natural to feel nervous about it.
Like any new thing you feel out of your depth. I think on the day, once you're in there the anxiety will ease off.
Talking about it will probably help. Even if you keep posting on here repeating yourself, do that.

Back