Guest viewing is limited

New partner - Great! And the bombshells

Ash

Administrator
Staff member
Admin and Moderator
Meeting a new partner after the pain and grief of separation and divorce is like being reborn - it's great - and you're happy - and things are going really well. Then you find your ex stops you seeing your kids. It is very common. And at that point if you have only had an informal arrangement for regular time with the kids, you may need to apply to court - but try mediation first.

Some ex's will not accept that you a) have a new woman in your life and b) that the KIDS have a new woman in their lives.

Courts are very used to seeing what's going on there. That a perfectly good arrangement has gone south as soon as the Dad has a new partner or introduces her to the kids. And they will give short shrift to a Mother who prevents the kids seeing their Dad just because he has a new partner. They may try some dispute resolution at first hearing to sort it out. But from then on you may need a clearly defined court order.

It can help to do things gradually. If you're on speaking terms with your ex, then maybe let them know that you plan to gradually introduce the kids to your partner. But still expect issues. Dads who need support over Child Arrangements are the ones who have an ex who stops contact because they don't like something and want to control everything. And yet they would probably move a new man in without warning, to become a new Father figure, without even telling you. That is another topic.

So the blow ups tend to occur a) When you have a new partner b) when you move in together c) when you get engaged or married d) when you move house e) when you have another child with your partner.

Why? When you move house? Who knows. Because your house is bigger/better - or just jealousy - because it's a happy event.

It can be at these times of happiness for you, and change, that you most need this forum!

Hello Ash,

Is it possible to receive some advise please. My new partner has stayed away for a year from my son while we have been going through court to prevent any conflict. My solicitor originally stated my new partner would have no contact.CAFCASS have recommended shared care and given me increased time in the interim while awaiting the final hearing. I do want to re introduce my new partner now as it has been such a long time but I am worried as my ex partner is very controlling and feels like she is waiting for anything to make things difficult and cause conflict?

Hello Ash,

Is it possible to receive some advise please. My new partner has stayed away for a year from my son while we have been going through court to prevent any conflict. My solicitor originally stated my new partner would have no contact.CAFCASS have recommended shared care and given me increased time in the interim while awaiting the final hearing. I do want to re introduce my new partner now as it has been such a long time but I am worried as my ex partner is very controlling and feels like she is waiting for anything to make things difficult and cause conflict?
It’s a a tough one but your ex has no right to stop you introducing your new partner as she is a big part of your life and will be a part of your little ones moving forward.

You’ve been very respectful already by keeping it separate whilst court is happening.

I’m sure if the shoe was on the other foot your ex wouldn’t show you the same respect so slowly introduce her as is your right.

Sadly exs like these will cause conflict no matter what you do because they have nothing better to do with there lives.

Obviously doing it runs the risk of her being funny or causing more drama but you can’t let her dictate this forever 😀.

Do what you feel is right but remember your as much as a parent as she is so you have just as much right to introduce a new partner and make that decision yourself 😀

Hello Ash,

Hey @bbl , forgive me but how old is your son? your question implied there was a previous relationship introduction?

If not, you could do this slowly?

Maybe see if there is a gathering with children where both of you are there and there can be interaction between her and your son.

Then slowly build on this but don't necessarily introduce her as your new partner just yet and see whether there are any changes to the Ex behaviour.

Not sure if that's helpful in your circumstances but is one way of doing it.

Hello Ash,

Is there anything in the interim order about your partner not being introduced? I don't see why you shouldn't introduce her now but your ex might kick off if your solicitor said you weren't going to. It might be an idea to contact Cafcass and say you want to introduce your partner, who has waited for a year now, gradually - the occasional time. And see what they say. That should cover you in case the ex kicks off and you can see Cafcass have informed me there is no issue .

My ex was bad enough, you all know my story, and i though she couldn't get any worse than what she was.

That was until i was seen out with a new partner, now my wife.
I had been seeing her for best part of 9 months before the ex found out, never introduced her to my daughter nor even mentioned her existence. My new partner knew what was going on regarding access and agreed we should keep her out of it until things were settled, although ne we know they were never going to be settled.

When my ex found out about my new relationship she litterly pressed the nuclear button and went totally into the bitter narcissist she is and was totally hell bent on removing my daughter from me and trying to destroy my new relationship.

The ex failed miserable and ended up inside due to multiple breaches or Non Mol and restraining orders and still to this day is held in secure accommodation to protect the public and her from herself.

She still doesn't know i got married a year ago, when she does i expect fallout yet again.

Back