Guest viewing is limited

Taking a break from employment

Roblox

Experienced member
Staff member
Just wondered if anyone has done this. We've had a lot of upheaval at work this year, taken over by a new company and come the start of the new year might not be a bad time to take some time out.

I'm not talking that long a break but perhaps 3 to 6 months.

Can you get a nil CMS assessment for a period of time and does it make it difficult to rejoin the workforce.

Probably won't actually do it but have considered and would be nice to take some time out. Its been 4 years on the treadmill so to speak post separation. Ex would probably blow up about maintenance but court order is in place so she couldn't stop contact.

Hi Roblox,

I recently had the same thing with CMS. They were very understanding, just said to update income on the portal and mark myself as "supported by family." They even said I could pay the revised amount, i.e. £0, while I wait for them to update their records.

Ease of returning to work will depend on your industry and job. Barriers to taking time out relate to NI contributions and employment record. A new employer might ask you to account for time not working and you will not get contributions to your state pension if you do not claim benefits. Even if you will not be eligible for payment, it is worth registering for unemployment benefit to get the NI contributions and have record of what was going on for the period.

Hope some of that is pertinent to your post.

There's a big part of me that says do it!! You only get one life. I can't answer in terms of csa as I'm the partner of a dad but in terms of explaining a career break companies don't tend to care. I've left 2 jobs before without anything to go to simply because they were making me ill. I had 6 month savings as back up. When I then looked for new jobs they didn't seem too bothered about gaps in jobs. If you get asked you could say a contract came to an end or you had to care for a relative or something. A little white lie doesn't matter.

I'm self employed so not sure how easy it is to get back in there if you take a break but I think I'd like something lined up. Although you say the ex couldn't do anything because there's a court order - they can still cause massive disruption and stress out the kids. Bombard them with phone calls when they're with you - instruct them to do and not do certain things in your home, send them with nasty messages. Been there, got the t shirt.

I am on my first shift back I used to work all the time and it was a nightmarish during my family court processing but I think overall all taking time off to find myself and becoming comfortable with who I am and what going on. Not having my son was a daily struggle for along time but now two years on I struggle like today he’s turned 5years old so I decided to go work etc keep my mind busy etc.

I am on my first shift back I used to work all the time and it was a nightmarish during my family court processing but I think overall all taking time off to find myself and becoming comfortable with who I am and what going on. Not having my son was a daily struggle for along time but now two years on I struggle like today he’s turned 5years old so I decided to go work etc keep my mind busy etc.
Sorry to hear you're not seeing your son today

I've found in time it gets easier and you just accept the birthdays are just a date and you can see them and treat that as their birthday so to speak.

Sorry to hear you're not seeing your son today

I've found in time it gets easier and you just accept the birthdays are just a date and you can see them and treat that as their birthday so to speak.

Honestly it hurts I can’t lie but it’s been two years and I know it sounds awful but I’ve prepared for the worst. The worst is what it is now so ermmm it is what it is I suppose BUT am learning to prioritise myself it’s not a normal though process I’ve always cared for other over myself. Not being at work has helped me change this mindset tbh.

Back