Guest viewing is limited

Cafcass phone interview

SJP

Been reading through what to expect in the phone interview and it says they'll ask things like do you have any concerns about your kids safeguarding or about your ex behaviour or is drink or drugs an issue, how do I answer this without looking like I'm slagging her? My kids have witnessed violence towards me and they know she drinks a lot, almost daily, they don't know about the drugs, I'm worried about saying things and coming across as hostile but I don't want to not say my concerns otherwise there's no problem with her.
Thanks for any help and for all the help you've given me so far, really appreciate your time, thank you

OK assuming your ex is primary carer they speak to her first.

They will first ask for some basic info which takes about 5 to 10 minutes. Depending on what ex says you may spend so much time answering questions if she's raised allegations. If she does just stand your ground. You don't need to argue ot justify yourself. Unless there's truth in them that can be proved it will be dismissed.

Keep it child focused and as much as possible avoid making allegations but if serious then state your concern and why. At this stage I'd say no more than a couple. Make sure you give examples that you can prove.

Don't overdo it on the accusations as it can then go into the conflict between parents bracket.

I spent most of my time on the call responding to allegations. But don't worry too much as if it goes into a s7 you can speak in more detail and the due diligence will be done with authority checks etc.

Reactions: SJP
OK assuming your ex is primary carer they speak to her first.

They will first ask for some basic info which takes about 5 to 10 minutes. Depending on what ex says you may spend so much time answering questions if she's raised allegations. If she does just stand your ground. You don't need to argue ot justify yourself. Unless there's truth in them that can be proved it will be dismissed.

Keep it child focused and as much as possible avoid making allegations but if serious then state your concern and why. At this stage I'd say no more than a couple. Make sure you give examples that you can prove.

Don't overdo it on the accusations as it can then go into the conflict between parents bracket.

I spent most of my time on the call responding to allegations. But don't worry too much as if it goes into a s7 you can speak in more detail and the due diligence will be done with authority checks etc.
Thanks for that, very helpful, can I ask what their report said about you? No issues?

I had loads of accusations against me. The thing is of course the cafcass officer doesn't know either of you and will take allegations at face value to start with.

When the report was made and a s7 ordered I then took advice. For example taking a hair strand test to get an alcohol abuse allegation thrown out.

Take a recording of the call. You're not supposed to but you can use to dispute anything cafcass say if it's not accurate. Also don't worry if it feels like you've been grilled etc. As it's just the start.

I'd also emphasise my case was probably out of the norm so may well not be your experience.

I had loads of accusations against me. The thing is of course the cafcass officer doesn't know either of you and will take allegations at face value to start with.

When the report was made and a s7 ordered I then took advice. For example taking a hair strand test to get an alcohol abuse allegation thrown out.

Take a recording of the call. You're not supposed to but you can use to dispute anything cafcass say if it's not accurate. Also don't worry if it feels like you've been grilled etc. As it's just the start.

I'd also emphasise my case was probably out of the norm so may well not be your experience.
I wish I could afford to have her take a hair strand test but they cost thousands don't they?

You ask in Court for one to be ordered, if you're v confident you can offer to take the cost with it being reversed on positive results.

The last time I saw a quote it was 1.2k for alcohol and all substances, 1/3/6/12 month span period, but that was 2020.

SS.

You ask in Court for one to be ordered, if you're v confident you can offer to take the cost with it being reversed on positive results.

The last time I saw a quote it was 1.2k for alcohol and all substances, 1/3/6/12 month span period, but that was 2020.

SS.
Thing is, I know she would fail 100% but would they even care?

Partly depends what you're after. Is it a change of residency, 50 /50 or regular contact
Change of residency, my daughter does not want to be with her anymore, she's not saying no contact at all but she wants to live with me, she's witnessed some bad things and is scared to live with her mam

When is your Cafcass call again? I think the main thing with making allegations about her to Cafcass is - have social services been involved previously? They can be a bit suspicious when a parent accuses something - as they think - if it was that serious why didn't you get social services involved.

I think in your case, and considering the Judge has already said your daughter is to stay with you, you'll just have to tell them you have serious concerns about alcohol and drug use by the Mother, which the children have witnessed. That you tried to stay in the relationship to keep an eye on things but had to leave after you were attacked. Your daughter doesn't want to go back. Your son is still with her. And request hair strand tests. Even then I think you're expected to say something positive about her! Like - she's a good cook but you have serious concerns about the childrens wellbeing due to the alcohol and drug issues.

I think the first thing they'll ask is - have social services been involved? I guess to that you could say - the separation is very recent and it's all been a bit sudden so no you hadn't thought about that - you just applied to court and your sister checked on your son in school.

When is your Cafcass call again? I think the main thing with making allegations about her to Cafcass is - have social services been involved previously? They can be a bit suspicious when a parent accuses something - as they think - if it was that serious why didn't you get social services involved.
It's booked for 10.30 Monday morning, I have texts off her admitting taking coke, what I don't want to do is slow anything down regarding seeing my son, it's been a month now and I need to see him, and he needs me

Back