Guest viewing is limited

UK Question

Weebie1

Hi All,

I have a child pending with a woman in the UK. I live in the US, I'm Australian. In the times We spent together (i was going back and forth from UK to US, and she kicked me out a couple of times as she thought it was cheating) baby is about to be born, she says her parents say I'm not too be involved.

What options if any do I have here, Obviously I need to get paternity confirmed by a DNA test and then get my name on the birth certificate. Do I have any options here at all? Is this legally enforceable?

If she doesn't put your name on the birth certificate then you'd need to apply to court for Parental Responsibility - assuming you were not married to the Mother (if you were you automatically have PR). At the same time you can apply for a Child Arrangements order. It will be tricky keeping up a relationship if you're in the US though. How do you think that would work? I assume you would need to apply to the UK courts for PR but not entirely sure, so I would seek legal advice from a Uk solicitor. You should be able to get a free half hour legal advice.

In terms of court applications - you apply for PR and Child arrangements at the same time, the court will probably order DNA tests and they can be going through while the case for child arrangements (ie visitation) goes on.

Bear in mind that when a child is under 2 years old, the Uk courts won't usually order more than a few hours a week due to breast feeding possibilities until the age of 2. Unless you have a strong argument otherwise. Video calls would be tricky with a baby! How often are you in the Uk?

Hello Ash!,

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my question, much appreciated. I just want to focus on whether on getting paternity confirmed if i'm the father meaning forcing her to have a DNA test etc, you never know. All the other things will have to worry about later.

I think the court would decide that. I am not 100% certain whether they would just accept paternity if the Mother agrees you're the Father - someone else might know. If it's disputed the court can order a dna test to prove paternity. On the other hand do you have any other documents with you down as the Father (eg things she is on as well?). That might show she accepted you as the Father even if she didn't put you on the birth certificate. Most common thing is an application for Child Maintenance!

Back