Guest viewing is limited

Social Services

singledadhere

Ok - I have a couple of threads to start here.

But I'll start with SS...

What I've found with SS is that anything the mother tells them about me gets written in the the report as if it was fact.
She falsely accused me of DV some years ago. The children's services report names me as "the perpetrator"!

On one occasion, my daughter came to me complaining of what sounded like threadworm, which can cause itching at night. She told me she'd had it before, and that I was supposed to get a torch, shine it on her bum and use sellotape to catch and remove them.

I did a quick search online and found that what she was actually referring to was that you can sit in the dark, point the torch at the child's anus and after some time, turn the torch on. If you see the worms, use sellotape to catch them and take to the doctor's to confirm what they are and get the right treatment tablets.

You don't remove the worms to treat the problem. It is purely to confirm what the problem is.

Anyway - our daughter claimed that "mummy's eyesight wasn't good enough" so her partner did it. Yup - her partner apparently shone the torch on her anus to catch worms.

I wasn't comfortable with this, and after some deliberation I contacted children's services. I said that I wasn't trying to get anyone in trouble, but it made me feel uncomfortable.

Anyhow - they did their investigation and after a while reported to me that there was no safeguarding concern. I asked if this was because they'd been told he didn't do it, or because even if he had, they didn't see it as cause for concern. They refused to tell me, saying I should get a copy of the report.

I did (via subject access request) and found two sections in there that concerned me. One was a quote from the GP saying that I'd not gotten over the breakup ... and one was a quote from the school saying I'd asked them to give me something to show the court. Neither was true.

I managed to get it in writing from both the GP and the school that they had NOT said these things. I contacted CS to let them know. They said "we can't change the report as that was what was written by the officer that worked on it, but we can add an extra page with the bits you've added" They were adamant that their processes don't allow them to go back and edit reports.

I told them this wasn't good enough, because the report contains provable lies about me. They argued it quite hard.

Eventually, I was advised to quote the GDPR laws which state that they can't knowingly hold false information about you if you ask them to remove it, and told them I'd seek legal action if they failed to remove it. Lo-and-behold, it turns out they can indeed edit the reports, as the offending sections were removed.

I was told that they now only put in reports things from GPs and schools that are sent via secure email and can be referenced.

What is perhaps more shocking is that the two incorrect statements were written by 2 different CS officers. It's seems that making up potentially harmful stuff about a father is just normal behaviour.

I'm still listed as the "perpetrator" of crimes that I was not guilty of though.... I haven't managed to get that changed yet.

Oh - and as it turns out, yes, the ex did lie about her partner looking for the worms (my daughter now remembers being pressured to say that it was her mother and not him) but CS have confirmed that, as he had lived there a while by this point, they wouldn't be concerned even if he had!

I could possibly try to show them that the mother had lied to them, which if I was CS I'd want to know why. But I get the feeling they just don't care if a mother lies to them and tries to gaslight a child in to not telling the truth. My daughter was not contacted by CS. Only us parents were.

I am impressed that you persisted and tackled this and got the incorrect statements removed and evidenced. Sounds like you would get on with Vincent McGovern! (His book is referenced on here - he tackled everything head on).

I don't think I would have reported to social services if my ex's long term H had been involved in such things. Because I have no reason to think he is dodgy and because my son likes him. Maybe if I had a daughter I'd be more concerned I don't know. It's the kind of thing parents usually discuss. I have had issues and worries over the years (like her partner taking my son to a 12A movie when he was 3 and he got very distressed). But kept an eye on things.

The only time I had social services involved - after my ex made a report - it worked out in my favour. And gave me evidence for court. I didn't find out until AFTER they had interviewed my son in school - and he of course had been heavily coached by my ex in advance. Which the social worker spotted - partly. Some things she was fooled by which was a bit scary - but a couple of things she picked up. Found no issues with me but found a lot of issues with my ex. Even so the report was minimalist to say the least. Something like - visited Father - no concerns, visited Mother - Mother argued with me and I told her she'd need to sort that out with the courts.

Result was my ex then bombarded me with solicitors letters threatening to take me to court. So the social worker just stirred things up! It did end up back in court and the closure report was very useful for my case. Cafcass phoned the social worker to clarify a few things.

But my experience of contacting social services myself was not good at all - with a serious concern - not just a concern - I knew what was happening. It was dismissed. They didn't even bother to contact the Mother or investigate. I mentioned a few other things that had happened previously - they then took it a bit more seriously but said - maybe the Mother needs some support.

I can really get on my high horse about this - Social Services and Cafcass do not protect children! They protect Mothers. That is a massive generalisation I know, and I also know social services are overloaded and underfunded.

But as Karen Woodall says in her parental alienation blogs. The problem is that social services are trained to a 1970s feminist model of Mother is the most important thing (and I'm not knocking feminism there - just repeating a statement from a psychologist).

I didn't report it as such. I called them for advice. And they immediately said they would investigate.

I just wasn't comfortable with it.
But - I'm even less comfortable with the fact that the mother lied to CS about who actually did it, and then gaslighted our daughter.

You have to go with your gut feelings. Yep that is not good what she did with your daughter.

Back