Guest viewing is limited

Nursery information request

BigLes

Hi, I notice that there is a useful template letter to send to a school asking that information be shared to both parents. What is the general position of nurseries? As I understand it, the relevant laws that order a school to share information with both parents don’t apply to private nurseries (I could be wrong?). Would it be worth sending a letter to a nursery? It would be great to be sent all the updates on progress etc that they produce. Would PR be a pre-requisite for such a request? @Ash

The difference is that schools are part of the LEA who have obligations to parents. As you say, nurseries are private so it's a bit different. It would do no harm to send a letter to a nursery and stating you have PR (would be a good idea to include evidence of PR - I had to do that with school until I actually had a court order confirming I had it!). You can send a certified copy of child's birth certificate showing both parents names and inform them that you have PR by being on the birth certificate. I found the primary school weren't familiar with what proved PR and that wasn't enough for them, so in the end I just paid a solicitor to write a very brief one paragraph letter confirming I had it because I fulfilled xyz and they had seen the birth certificate. That was actually easier and quicker, than sending off for a copy of the child's birth certificate, then taking it to a solicitor to get certified copies (they stamp it to certify it for about £5). Solicitor did letter quickly and for not a very big fee. I asked for two versions - one was addressed to the Headteacher of the school, the other was "To Whom it May concern" in case I needed it for anyone else in future.

The school template letter is fairly formal so it could maybe do to be slightly more informal/friendly in tone if it's for nursery. You might find they just say - we can't do that unless Mum agrees. They tend to just work with the parent who signed the child up. But it might also depend on who is paying the nursery fees. Do you both pay, or does ex pay. And if you both pay do you both pay nursery direct or do you pay it to ex and she pays it. Anyway a courteous approach in writing with proof of PR is a start.

I found that basically it came down to who the Mother agreed could be involved. Copies of things were given to whichever of us picked son up and we'd send a copy or inform the other one. But that was when things were fairly amicable. They'd probably be happy to give you verbal updates though.

Good suggestion about the solicitor’s letters. Especially the one addressed to To Whom it May Concern.

Mother pays (albeit using the maintenance money that I send).

I’ll try the template if mother continues to be intransigent on the issue, I don’t even know which nursery to ask at the moment! I’d ideally like full participation in conversations with nursery team leaders, and in parent meetings. Rather than just being sent the daily, weekly, & monthly updates and 6-month summaries. Another option is to ask the court to enforce it. I’ve seen similar orders written where a parent must “consider” sharing information such as nursery updates.

Back