Guest viewing is limited

My partner has a child - Does this affect maintenance payments?

Da7thSon

Hi Everyone,

I moved in with my partner of nearly two years around 12 months ago.

She has a child from a previous relationship and we share 50/50 times with their dad (equal overnight stays etc). Because of this, she receives no maintenance payments due to the arrangement.

I have 2 children from my previous relationship and pay maintenance to my ex-wife.

I have never notified the CMS that I moved in with my partner OR that she has a son. Should I? and does it affect the payments as we live as a family?

Many thanks

Check out the CMS calculator. I think because you live with a dependant it reduces the amount you pay .

Hi mate, if you live with a dependent and are consciously contributing to that child's welfare when in your care then the CMS would take that into account and likely reduce your maintenance payments as a result

https://www.gov.uk/how-child-maintenance-is-worked-out - have a read of step 4.

In any event, if you're still unsure - there's no harm in giving the CMS a call and asking for clarification.

Yes it does as when you do the CMS calculator it asks if you have any other children living with you.

Just one thing to be mindful of and do not mention to HMRC. If you earn over 50k and your partner claims child benefit there could be a reclaim of that benefit from you. I mention as this happened to a client at work.

Yes it does as when you do the CMS calculator it asks if you have any other children living with you.

Just one thing to be mindful of and do not mention to HMRC. If you earn over 50k and your partner claims child benefit there could be a reclaim of that benefit from you. I mention as this happened to a client at work.
Thanks for the heads up guys.

Sounds like I only move in when I tell CMS about it then.. many thanks

Back