Guest viewing is limited

Govt announcement on domestic abuse

C&ADad

Experienced member
So I don't know if anyone else saw this, but this was announced on 30th March.

Essentially, if this happened then it could have severe consequences for anyone who ends up on a DAPP in order to see their kids, or potentially anyone has adverse findings against them in a fact finding.

Edited highlights:

1. A new 'domestic abuse register' is proposed- presumably for those who go on a DAPP, adverse findings etc
2. You'd potentially be electronically tagged
3. You'd have to inform the police if you change address or open a bank account with a new partner

The worst bit for me is where WomensAid essentially state that only a man can be a domestic abuser. For those of us who went through periods of hell in a relationship, this is pretty hard to take to be honest.

Sounds ominous. I'm assuming nothing about parental alienation in the plan.

Sounds ominous. I'm assuming nothing about parental alienation in the plan.

The words are never mentioned. Just government policy proposals supported by Refuge, WomensAid and the perpetuation of the idea that only a man can be a domestic abuser.

WomensAid also pretty much dismiss parental alienation as something used by Father's to obtain child contact. It's dismaying.

It’s treating it as a single issue by labelling it as VAWG. While it should include all victims of abuse they will be making the usual argument that that is another issue and this is purely about VAWG. In that sense it didn’t read too badly until the quote from women’s aid! Talking about misogyny and making clear their stance that men are perpetrators and women are victims. Until then it just sounded like the Government blowing it’s own trumpet about investing in worthy issues.

I think a lot of it is hot air and the tagging is only for those released from prison so shouldn’t affect fact finds in family court.

As usual though they have turned it into a single gendered issue. No-one os denying there is dv against women by men but what it does deny by it’s single issue focus, is that women can also be perpetrators. But then they’ll dismiss that as “minimal numbers” probably.

It’s the usual stitch up but at least it’s not a law they are talking about - it’s mainly about funding and how convicted abusers will be treated - I think it said “might” in some places as well (hence gov blowing their own trumpet).

But yes it’s galling - when there are women out there abusing men and children and that isn’t given the same prominence.

Back