Guest viewing is limited

Final statement - how does it work?

Richie1989

Experienced member
Hi,

I am at the stage of final hearing which is mid Feb. 28 days prior to the final hearing the judge has requested we submit 8 page final statements by a certain date at 4pm.
Can I ask does this get exchanged with solicitors so we will see each others statements before hearing? If so, is it best to leave right up until the last minute so they don’t get chance to look over mine and make alterations to theirs?
Is there any examples of a final statement? I want to make a draft for my solicitor to make it really easy for them and also to make sure I get what I want included…
How does the evidence attachment work?
My plan is to make a huge list of positive evidence regarding me as a daddy. For example loads of photos of the activities we do, the places we go and basically highlighting the quality time we have together. As well as the savings account, insurances I have and also a load of photos of before we seperated as well to highlight nothing changed before or after separation which I hope subtlety shows their allegations were indeed ludicrous.
I then also want to do a timeline of the communication exchanges prior to me being stopped from seeing my daughter as there is a very obvious change in behaviour and attitude when i requested mediation to finally fight for what our daughter deserves. Things went a little cuckoo on my ex behalf when I requested this. Things did happen before like me being banned from my daughters 3rd birthday 5 days before after me helping with invites and plan to go halves on costings. I was banned with no explanation. So things wasn’t right before I asked for mediation but it turned very very nasty once I did and I have a very good timeline of communication to show this.
My thoughts are this:
If I create a massive list of really positive evidence and then a seperate list of the negative evidence highlighting potential for PA this allows my solicitor to kind of pick from each. It outlays everything I have in simple terms as well.
Am I barking up the wrong tree and wasting time or do people think this is a good exercise and makes my final statement thorough?

Any suggestions of what I should include as well please… anything you can think of or give examples off that helped you?

Thanks

Have a look at my last two posts to Magic on this thread - this answers some of the questions. Other than that I would work with your solicitor on this. They are experts at constructing statements.

Thanks for all these links they have been really helpful. One thing I can’t seem to understand though.
When using evidence does it have to coincide with my statement?
For example I am explaining how much I do with my daughter and then I reference the exhibits? Or is the evidence just a long list of things I wish to submit as evidence?
I can’t seem to get my head around the actual layout of it 🤦‍♂️

Is there an example of one somewhere? I can’t seem to find an example to see how it’s actually structured and laid out

I maybe need to do a resource on this, but a witness statement is something it can be worth hiring a solicitor to help with as a one off job. The statement is your evidence basically, and the "exhibits" attached back up (prove) what you say is true.

Back