Guest viewing is limited

Dads dealing with PA

Peanut 21

Experienced member
There's a website I keep being drawn to which talks about when children reject a parent. They have this advice about dealing with it.

1. Ask your child what he or she needs from you in order to repair the relationship. If your child tells you something specific, just listen and determine if you can honor your childs request. If it is reasonable and sincere, than do your best to repair what has been broken.
  2. Dont act on your feelings of defensiveness. If you feel defensive, learn to talk within your own head and keep your mouth shut. You should not defend yourself to your child. You can say something neutral, such as, I have a different perspective on the story, but Im not going to defend myself because it wont be productive.
  3. Expect Respect. Realize that no matter what, everyone deserves to be treated with respect including you.
  4. Dont idealize your children or your relationship with them. Yes, our children are the most important people in our lives, but they should not be idealized or enshrined. They are mere mortals just like you and I.If your child is rejecting you, its one thing to feel disappointed and sad, but it becomes unhealthy if you cant focus on anything else other than that. You are best served to remind yourself that you have other relationships that are important as well, and learn to focus on the ones that work.
  5. Grieve. Allow yourself to feel the sadness of being rejected by your child. Grieve over the loss of the innocence that the relationship once was. Grieve over your lost child even though he or she is still alive. In your world, he/she is no longer part of your life. That sense of what can I do? keeps you yearning and longing for reconciliation; but sometimes reconciliation is not forthcoming.
  6. Live one day at a time. Even if you have no contact with your child today, you have no way of knowing what tomorrow may bring. None of us does. The best thing we can do is to live the best way we know how today. When you can focus on one day only, you feel less hopeless and desperate. Remind yourself, I cannot predict the future.
  7. Dont beg. No matter how hurt or desperate you feel to have a relationship with your rejecting child, never stoop to the level of begging for attention or even forgiveness. You will not be respected by your child if you beg and it will demean your position as a parent.
  8. Be empowered. Dont let your rejecting child steal your personal power. Just because you are having difficulties in this area of your life, dont get to the place where you feel personally defeated. Do what it takes to be good to yourself seek therapy, join a support group, travel, go to the gym, do whatever you can to own your own power and stop giving it away to anyone else.

number 1 is an interesting point, because Im pretty certain its near impossible to resolve with a brainwashed child

my daughter replied in text to me with what I did wrong (which was disproportionate to being erased ) so I offered to repair, she vanishes.....

then when I ask a 2nd time, she replies with "well its not actually that:rolleyes:, its now that we dont have anything to look forward to" :ROFLMAO:

(we did more things in a month than anyone I know)

so yet again i offer to resolve and talk.....

Guess what? she just vanishes again.....................

then she messaged out the blue a month later asking me to drop her belongings rounds to her aunty, no acknowledgement of me trying to resolve, just flat out cold erasing herself from my life more.

so if anything, things got worse, even when I continued to be kind, and its not as if I had seen her and hurt her

And this is exactly why kids shouldn't be left to make adult decisions.
They're emotionally immature and can't articulate to any adult, let alone their own parent, what is bothering them.
How many kids, especially teenagers, just shrug or say I don't know when they don't want to reply.
You've really tried @Alocacoc

And this is exactly why kids shouldn't be left to make adult decisions.
They're emotionally immature and can't articulate to any adult, let alone their own parent, what is bothering them.
How many kids, especially teenagers, just shrug or say I don't know when they don't want to reply.
You've really tried @Alocacoc

ohhh and then I tried calling her , for which she ignored..

and she text me right after "theres others ways of contacting me you know dad" :ROFLMAO:

The trouble is that even without PA being present, the fun and permissive parent will always be more appealing than the other parent who sets healthy boundaries.
I know of someone who said growing up he pushed back against his dad and step mum who set reasonable bed times and other boundaries. But as an adult he could look back and see their home was a lot safer and he knew where he stood. His mums home was 'fun' as he could stay up really late and eat what he wanted but it was chaotic and unsettling.

I feel so bad for these alienated kids (yours @Alocacoc , my partners and others on here) when the day arrives that the penny drops and they realise what their mothers did to them. The grief and anger will be overwhelming.

The more awareness, the louder we shout, the more they will listen.

PA is child abuse and it's as simple as that. Im 3 years into PA and it is only going to get worse as time goes on.

I hope my case speaks volumes and I win at my final hearing when proven the depths of PA and it's damage.

Back