Guest viewing is limited

changing solicitors part way into divorce

Dirge

Experienced member
Has anyone had any experience of changing their solicitors part way through the divorce process?
I am not happy with the service my solicitor is providing and feel I'm fighting him as well as the wife.

I changed solicitors three times - the last time was only weeks before a final hearing - but that wasn't for divorce, it was for child arrangements. I wasted many thousands of pounds on the first two. The best money I spent was for a barrister for the final hearing. Even the last solicitor wasn't great and made quite a few mistakes, but the barrister sorted it. After that (I had to return to court again) I only used a direct access barrister and no solicitor. They are not cheap - but it's a fixed fee, they are experts at winning cases and overall it works out cheaper than weeks of solicitors bills run up via phone calls and pointless letters.

If you can afford to use both then a good solicitor barrister team is the way to go. But - I think you need to allow costs for Child Arrangements as a priority.

Whereabouts are you with the divorce and child arrangements?

The divorce papers were served on wife last November, she did not contest them. Child arrangements are at the beginning of the process. As mentioned in another thread, I have an informal agreement with wife whereby I get my 2 girls 3 days a week. I am attempting to get a court order formalizing that. Solicitor was asked to submit a C100 with a view to get 50/50 custody back in April, but he hasn't confirmed this has happened. That's one of the things I'm not happy about with the solicitor. I'm going to chase him up again tomorrow, and will raise the issue of his poor performance with a senior partner. Not sure whether that will make matters worse or not, and there's no guarantee that another solicitor will be any better. It's a headache trying to find a good solicitor. For the money they charge, they don't seem customer focused. Could a direct access barrister totally replace a solicitor, or are they just for court appearances?

Back