Guest viewing is limited

Challenging a Safeguarding Letter

DadLad

Experienced member
Hi All,

Just seeking some advice/ pointers.

I’ve recently received my safeguarding letter from Cafcass which is obviously heavily biased. Not only that they have tried to undermine me with the interpretation of the safeguarding phone call.

They have also left out important safeguarding information and tried to water down what I’ve said with different words and phrases. The report is very cleverly put together in an attempt to discredit me.

The reason for no contact and a FFH is absolutely shocking and my barrister is going to challenge this at the FHDRA.

1. Can the author of the safeguarding letter be asked to attend the FHDRA for questioning?

2. Have any of you successfully challenged a safeguarding report/ recommendations and had this overturned?

3. Does the same author of the safeguarding letter also write the section 7 report?

Thanks in advance :)

Hi

Has the section 7 report been undertaken or have you just had the initial cafcass call?

Hi

Has the section 7 report been undertaken or have you just had the initial cafcass call?

Had the call, and the safeguarding report has been received.

The section 7 and FFH are recommendations from the report but haven’t been ordered.

The FHDRA is soon. No gatekeeping hearing though.

OK. So it's not uncommon for the initial cafcass letter to include a few allegations which on paper look pretty bad.

What are the serious allegations being made

If a section 7 does go ahead it's not always a bad thing (aside from slowing down the process) as you'll have somebody looking into the detail more thoroughly.

OK. So it's not uncommon for the initial cafcass letter to include a few allegations which on paper look pretty bad.

What are the serious allegations being made

The only serious allegation id say is coercive control for making a CAO application which I’m absolutely bamboozled with.

Oh right so she's playing the victim. Did mediation happen?

Yeah that's going to be hard for her to prove unless you've been unreasonable and there's evidence.

I wouldnt worry too much about that initial letter. Mine was far worse by the sounds of it. It can quickly be dismissed.

What's the state of play with the kids is it a while since you've seen them? How old are they

Oh right so she's playing the victim. Did mediation happen?

Yeah that's going to be hard for her to prove unless you've been unreasonable and there's evidence.

I wouldnt worry too much about that initial letter. Mine was far worse by the sounds of it. It can quickly be dismissed.

What's the state of play with the kids is it a while since you've seen them? How old are they

Not seen our child in 2 years. (Child is nearly 3)

I’ve been trying relentlessly to be involved and court is the only way now as she refused mediation previously.

I’ve fought off x2 NMO and had them dismissed.

Just keep your nerve and use the barrister.

There's no way, in my opinion, she can successfully argue coercive control in the circumstances you've outlined.

Sorry I've not read your other posts but it sounds like the issue you'll face is you'll probably build up contact over time.

Have you got a firm idea of what you'd like in terms of contact.

Was the report written after a phone interview?
Was it written after the local children's services did an assessment?

As you haven't seen your child in 2 years, cafcass haven't seen you with your child. This is a huge point to keep reiterating to both cafcass and the courts. How can they make an assessment on you as a parent without seeing how you interact together!?

Initial cafcass letters can be dreadful as they're not based on much other than one sides allegations and a brief chat with the other party.

I'm sure your barrister can find plenty of discredit it.

As Roblox said, it may be better if it gets to a S7. They can be totally different to safe guarding letters and quite often a different officer is assigned for this.

Just keep your nerve and use the barrister.

There's no way, in my opinion, she can successfully argue coercive control in the circumstances you've outlined.

Sorry I've not read your other posts but it sounds like the issue you'll face is you'll probably build up contact over time.

Have you got a firm idea of what you'd like in terms of contact.

I’m going for 50/50 shared care

OK. I'll defer to others as I wasn't going for 50/50. I was looking for regular contact which has ended up an every other weekend arrangement.

But what is your ex prepared to allow, if anything?

Was the report written after a phone interview?
Was it written after the local children's services did an assessment?

As you haven't seen your child in 2 years, cafcass haven't seen you with your child. This is a huge point to keep reiterating to both cafcass and the courts. How can they make an assessment on you as a parent without seeing how you interact together!?

Initial cafcass letters can be dreadful as they're not based on much other than one sides allegations and a brief chat with the other party.

I'm sure your barrister can find plenty of discredit it.

As Roblox said, it may be better if it gets to a S7. They can be totally different to safe guarding letters and quite often a different officer is assigned for this.

Yeah written after phone call and checks.

No police reports.

No children’s services report on my side but there is on her side. - this is ammo

I’m definitely going to push that they can’t make an assessment of me as a parent if they haven’t witnessed me interacting.

I’ve also dissected this report and it is littered with contradictions and things to discredit it.

OK. I'll defer to others as I wasn't going for 50/50. I was looking for regular contact which has ended up an every other weekend arrangement.

But what is your ex prepared to allow, if anything?

At this point absolutely nothing. Not even a photograph.

1. Can the author of the safeguarding letter be asked to attend the FHDRA for questioning?

2. Have any of you successfully challenged a safeguarding report/ recommendations and had this overturned?

3. Does the same author of the safeguarding letter also write the section 7 report?

1) Sometimes a Cafcass officer is at a DRA but it won't usually be the same one that wrote the report.

2) Some people have challenged a Cafcass report and asked for changes or amendments but the likelihood is this will not get a response.

3) Probably not.

The best thing to do is argue at the DRA that these are false allegations which have only come about since you made your application. A Barrister can also argue against Cafcass recommendations.

Thank you to everyone for the advice.

The reason for no contact is unjustifiable and isn’t good enough.

Surly the Judge will also see that this is completely unreasonable.

My barrister is going to dispute it, the reason they have given is actually pathetic.

Yeah I think that will get thrown out. Just go through the motions and remember it's just a process.

The way in which they have watered down everything I’ve said, they have purposefully misinterpreted the phone call, portrayed a false narrative in the report and completely left out important safeguarding information.

I spoke with a manger this week regarding this and she was awful so I’ve escalated it. I just want fairness and to actually have a true and honest reflection and most importantly to be heard.

I kept a balance of being child focused but also raising my concerns.

I understand everything you are saying.

Unfortunately it is the process. Full of bias at times.

I would just say you need to focus efforts on the points in the process which are key. Like the upcoming FHDRA.

It doesn't sound like there are safeguarding issues in place. Making a CAO is not coercive control and I'm surprised it's been mentioned in this letter but clearly your ex is trying to paint a false narrative.

However frustrating I'd just say it's unlikely you'll be able to rationalise parts of the process.

Sorry you've escalated within cafcass?

Back