Guest viewing is limited

Cafcass phone interview

Flipsider

Just a quick question when the time comes for my interview. I have no issues with my ex in regards to being a parent, in fact I think she’s a good mother to our children but she is a monster when it comes to dealing with me. Can I state that in the interview, that she’s an excellent mother but will do everything in her power to make my life as hell as possible. Thanks in advance

Probably best not to say that. Be prepared to steer the conversation towards child focused matters. What they are looking for is - are you a good Dad - not what you think the Mother is doing. If they raise things she's said about you, you could just say - that isn't true - I'm not sure why she would say that but it may be she is angry that I have applied to court - then change the subject onto the kids and say something about - your eldest loves doing xyz with you and how you recently made xyz together. Something like that. The more you can talk about the kids and things you and the kids do together, the better, and it will show in your voice how you feel about them. You could drop in somewhere that the Mother is a good Mother and you just want things to be sorted out amicably for the kids.

The thing to remember is, however much we want to tell someone what the heck is going on - Cafcass are just doing a welfare check. to them a good parent is

a) One who doesn't say anything negative about the Mother and
b) Who sounds child focused

Then you get brownie points and the Mother's animosity is less likely to be believed. It's the old thing of not fighting fire with fire - you throw water on the fire.

Back