Guest viewing is limited

CAFCASS FACE TO FACE INTERVIEW

FRAM

Dear Dads, I hope you are well. Stay strong and happy!

This week I have my one hour interview with CAFCAFF face to face at my house. this is before a 4 days final hearing for the children custody!

Do you have any recommendation apart from the basic ones?
- house clean and child friendly (mine always is)
- be child focus
- do not criticise the mother
- be relaxed, kind and happy (I am !)
- speak slowly and be clear in your sentences
- prepare short example on how your kids are happy when with you. Some picture might be worth a million words
- point out you live next to the children school (I do)
- point out you have a good relationship with the ex wife and you communicate face to face (I do)
- do not criticise the mother but highlight any concerns if factual. My ex wife travel a lot abroad for work.

Thank you

FM

If you have a clothes rack to dry washed clothes, have one out in the kids bedroom with their clothes drying, to show that you are hands on, you keep the kids clean and well looked after - this speaks louder than words.

Have some of their paintings / drawings hung on the wall.

It's up to you to do this, but if you can get a bread making machine, time it to bake a loaf when cafcass are at your home so that they smell baking bread. It is a comforting smell.

Your list seems on point, but I'd avoid mentioning the travel. I may indirectly hint at this "I'm a hands on father that even supports my ex partners career by caring for the children when she frequently flies abroad for work".

Reactions: Ash
Like the idea of baking bread :) . I haven't had this but had something similar with a 2 hour visit from a social worker. I didn't do any preparation in the house apart from make sure it was clean and tidy - but that's because I already had photos of my son everywhere - which I didn't particularly think about. Two collages of our holidays over the years on the wall. A framed photo of him at an event. All his school year photos on the wall. And on a little shelf have some small framed photos - on for each year of his life. His bedroom already had years of his toys and stuff on and all the things on the wall that he chose himself. It looked very much a kids bedroom, even though not very big. His own clothes here too in drawers etc.

The house itself is ramshackle (needs renovating) but it was clean and tidy.

I noticed, when she was interviewing me, her look up at the walls and see the photos and her glance at the smaller ones on the shelf as she went upstairs. It must have been clear we had years of happy memories.

In terms of talking about things. Yes be yourself. I found I was open and honest about various things and some things came out I hadn't planned - both my partner and I were stressed about allegations and when asked about that we both showed signs of stress and blurted things out. That didn't seem to do any harm as it was clear we were upset about them. But I stayed calm 99% of the time and talked to her directly as I would to any reasonable adult.

What were your reasons for applying for residency? It's always tricky if they see someone trying to take residency away from the Mother.

Just read back on your history/case. I thought you were applying to reinstate the shared care originally. Did you apply for residency because she stopped you seeing the children (until social workers supported you)?

I suspect Cafcass may recommend shared care again. But whatever they recommend you still have the opportunity to argue for residency at final hearing (or at least a suspended residence clause).

All seems sensible. Be prepared to answer some allegations if cafcass are involved. Just put your side across, as you state no need to criticise mother.

Reactions: Ash
Another question. Will the kids be with you when they do their interview? If they interview you without the kids being there, and you then have issues with the report, you can challenge the report at final hearing. It can be completely undermined if they didn't see the kids with you. (That is something I picked up from another Dad with a lot of experience in court - who got residency. He cross examined the Cafcass officer at final hearing and when it was pointed out she hadn't even seen the kids with him, that influenced the Judge).

Back