Guest viewing is limited

Barrister recommendations?

Hobnob

Hi guys,

Has anyone used Clive Sutton direct-access Barrister and have any feedback?

Or does anyone have any recommendations for a direct-access Barrister that won't bankrupt me?

Just had a very brief conversation with Clive Sutton who was very intrigued about why the judge at my FHDRA failed to set any timescales; stating this is not typical court process!

I can't instruct anyone until I have a date for the next hearing, so that gives me some time to find a decent barrister. Any pointers you can all share about sourcing the right one or recommendations of barristers you've used would be very much appreciated 😊

This article might be helpful

Location might explain the Judge's negative comment about "you won't get" shared care. I had that comment too, from a solicitor. I said to her - I know of quite a few Dads who have it. Her comment was - well maybe in posh places down south but not here in the North.

That knocked my confidence. I went online to Just Answer and asked a solicitor on there if it was true shared care orders weren't made in the North and was told - absolutely not the case. So the issue is archaic, backwater, lazy lawyers and Judges "in the regions". I did my own application for shared care and applied to a much larger regional court. I was met with hostility by Cafcass but it went to a final hearing. I switched to a legal team from another region. They actually encouraged me to apply for 50/50 - although by then it was too late as just before final hearing. I kicked myself that I hadn't applied for 50.50. Advice was to do so and then look at negotiating down on time. Some of them travel. Not sure about these days.

There are often comments in legal journals about courts in "regional" areas being a bit flakey - which means you have to have a robust application and a good barrister to push them a bit.

You have a robust application - you just need a good barrister in this situation I think - to advocate for you. Some Barristers are more Mum focused as well. It takes some looking. If looking up Barristers, read their previous cases, see if they've ever won a case for a Dad or mainly for Mums. Steer clear of ones who only seem to have acted for Mums in cases of DV. check they only specialize in family law and not various other matters as well (ie purely family law focused).

That article suggests there aren't many Barristers in North Wales and those that are, are from a firm based in Chester. Chester is hardly a large regional city either (ie still reasonably provincial). Your nearest "major" city with more choice, would probably be Manchester (or Cardiff?).

One question - are you and your ex both welsh? If she is and you aren't then I would suggest a welsh barrister (ie one native of Wales) might favour her more instinctively. So maybe go for a non welsh one (unless you're both welsh!).

I've PM'd you with a suggestion.

I got in touch with guy called called Phillip Bowen , family lawyer , ex police man . From direct access , seemed decent . Gave me 30 min free consultation , he’s from chesterfield

Reactions: Ash
Back