Guest viewing is limited

Advice Needed - Money

Dad_of_one

Good evening, looking for some advice please.

My wife and I are currently in quite a strained relationship where both of us are asking ourselves if there’s any point in continuing to be a couple.

Unfortunately, our relationship has over the years had it’s fair share of knocks both from within the relationship and outside it with one thing and another such as with family and what not.

I have always earned more than my wife, and throughout our relationship have paid the majority, if not all of the bills / holidays with her wages covering ‘fun’ such as days out, dates, clothing for them both and activities with our child.

In recent years and due to covid my use of the ‘fun’ account has reached almost nothing, instead for the little I do spend on myself is managed via my wages but only after all bills are covered.

At times my wife’s wages have declined through things such as changing roles, maternity leave to working part time down from full time to reducing hours due to health impacts.

Around eight or nine years ago I ran into difficulties with money, faced with a reduced income at the end of maternity leave, her moving to part time as well as a change of jobs for me and I sought the support of stepchange to manage my creditors and agree a repayment plan.

I didn’t tell my wife about these problems at first, partly through the shame I felt, and due to the fact that we struggled with a traumatic birth, post natal depression and the realisation of the cost of rasing a child with at the time faced with fluctuating income.

I guess, looking back naively we carried on as if we had two full time incomes rather than one and I didn’t speak up soon enough for fear of the panic that would be caused by saying hang on do we really need this or that. It was also universally agreed/decided that the issues were caused by me alone not because of joint decisions and spending.

I therefore felt as if I had caused the mess I should fix it and set about agreeing with stepchange a sustainable solution to get back on an even footing. My wife at the time though shocked, said she forgave me, though now seemingly hasn’t and certainly not forgotten.

Switch to nearer to now, looking back I’m 6 + years into a debt repayment plan, payments have been made consistently, even increased

I’ve since got a better, more well paid job with benefits which I never had the prospect of previously.

Recently arguments have kicked off, which Center again around money. My wife still works part time and her income is supplemented by savings - I don’t scrutinise her spending, nor her use of savings to supplement her income.

However, recently she has started to bring back up the money problems I suffered in the past, some six years ago and how for instance she wants to start monitoring my sole bank account and have proof bills are paid

We’re joint named on a number of bills, short of the fact that the cost of living is going up they’re paid and there are no arrears.

What I don’t understand by demanding to have access to my bank account is what’s to be got from it, for her. I certainly don’t welcome a line by line scrutiny of my expenditure given I don’t apply the same to her account.

She feels as if I’m hiding from her even though I simply don’t agree with the scrutiny that she’d apply to me whilst blind to her own expenditure.

This is just one part a problem in our relationship

Any views welcome

Hi. It sounds like there have been tough times. Money is apparently one of the biggest issues in relationships and people have different ideas about how to do things. My parents just always had a joint bank account and everything went out of that and they could both see what was what. Although my Dad complained about my Mum's use of the credit card! My partner and I have separate bank accounts - I pay the bills, she pays for the food and other things. When she was out of work I just paid for everything.

I just see it as jointly supporting the family. Plus my ex! With Child Support money she doesn't need!

A friend of mine does a bit of both - they each have separate bank accounts but they have a joint account just for paying bills. So they both have a standing order into the joint account and the bills go out of that by direct debit.

A family member does similar but the other way round. Both their salaries go into the joint account and they have a standing order out of that to their personal accounts each month - for personal spending money each.

I read about a couple where the husband actually pays his wife a large allowance every month! (well off couple I guess) to spend on whatever she wants - and he manages everything else. Doesn't sound very equal but if it works for them and they have enough money!

It sounds like a tricky situation - you feel checked up on and she feels like she wants to be more involved/more control.

I guess you could say to her - ok - lets have a joint bank account and go through the finances together once a month. So are you still in the debt repayment plan despite better job and perks etc and everything ok financially right now? And does she know about the debt repayment plan?

I'd bite the bullet and just let her see what's what. And suggest a shakeup of how finances are managed. How about having the joint account and then a certain amount paid out of that each month by standing order to both of you. So you can buy each other gifts or whatever or buy the odd thing without being answerable.

Ultimately though it maybe comes down to communication and being able to talk about money things. Maybe just say - we're in a much better position now - I am paying the bills and managing the finances thank you - but if you feel like you want to be more involved we can have a joint account but we need to agree all outgoings in that case so we don't spend the money twice over. She might change her mind then! If she has to account to you for everything she spends. And vice versa.

But that should be both of you putting everything in together. If she manages her own finances and you're not involved in that, then it can't be one rule for one and one for the other.

A positive approach might be best - like - I'd like us to look at the best investments for the future and our future plans and finances so let's do that together and rehash the way we do finances (then it's like it's your idea).

Not really sure if that was what you were looking for there. Just my thoughts.

maybe create a joint bank account? Monzo or something and have all your bills go out of that account?

Reactions: Ash
Back